Wednesday, March 24, 2010

CURRY RICE

So I don't forget. Also, writing/typing things helps me remember.

My friend and I were trying to do mochitsuki over Christmas break, and we ran into quite a few obstacles along the way. In the end it was a total disaster, but I remember we figured out from a website how to make rice without a rice cooker. It came out PERFECTLY. Trouble is, I can't find this website anymore, so I'm going to have to try to re-piece this method from other information and from memory.

So. To Make Rice Without a Rice Cooker:

- Wash and rinse your rice a few times.
- Dump your rice in a pot and fill with water. I use the knuckle method.
--- THE KNUCKLE METHOD: place your hand on top of the rice and fill the pot with water until the water level comes even with the second knuckle on your index finger.
- Cover pot and cook rice until water boils.
- At boiling point, immediately turn the heat on low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow rice to sit COVERED for at least five minutes.

CAUTION: I have not actually tried this. Do not repeat until I give the go ahead!

On a similar note, we have a recipe for curry rice:

INGREDIENTS: chopped onions, chopped carrots, thyme, 1 tsp curry powder/paste, 1/4 cup butter, 3/2 cup water, 1 cup rice, etc. Maybe some chicken, but eh.

Saute veggies with butter and herbs, then add your water and bring to a boil. Once it boils, turn the heat down to low and allow the veggies to cook for about 15 minutes (covered). Then gradually add your curry and wait until it's all nice and blended (this recipe says about 10 minutes), and VOILA! Dump over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment