Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Curry: results

This is how my curry rice went: runny.

I ended up using too much water in the whole shebang, which really took down the flavor as far as I'm concerned. Due to my Mad Scientist method (looking in the herb cabinet and going, "Ooooh..." and subsequently dumping seven different herbs into the pot), though, it definitely has a flavor kick. Not a very big one like curry is SUPPOSED to taste, but it tastes like the herbs I put into the pot. If I hadn't used so much water, this concoction probably would've blown my head off (which would be a GOOD thing. I LOVE flavor).

So, lessons? Use exact measurements. It's not the knuckle thing I'm spazzing out about, actually, because in reality there wasn't much rice left and so my hand couldn't fit into the small pot and I had to just eyeball it. That was another problem... None of the pots I was using were the size they needed to be. I used this mammoth of a pot for making my curry, and I looked into and thought, "More water. More carrots." (We don't have any onions at the moment.) Result? Too many carrots, too much water. Also, this rice we had sucks. It was "instant" rice. I didn't believe it. That probably was a factor as well.

All in all though, it's gooooooood. I'm trying this again, soon.

Herbs that I tossed into the pot: mustard, cumin, thyme, sage, paprika. I don't even know what any of those taste like except for thyme. I remember hearing thyme and sage used together a lot, and paprika, cumin, and mustard all sounded Indian, so in they went!

No comments:

Post a Comment