Saturday, July 3, 2010

I am a bad, bad knitter

In more ways than one.

I started a new sweater.  For moi.  Because... well, I don't know why.  Right now I've got a scarf, two pairs of socks, and a sweater on the needles.  Clearly I need to be finishing something.  And yet.

Enter the Newcastle Pullover, brought to you on the free market by Lion Brand.  Lion Brand is okay... their patterns are average (but their free-ness is nice) and I don't normally knit with acrylic, so I don't generally tend to go their way.  But this seems like a very nice sweater and a well-written pattern, so who's to discriminate?  Especially when I am being such a lazy knitter.

I made a gauge swatch!  I swear!  Except instead of the regular 17 sts by 24 rows = 4 inches on size 8 needles... my gauge ended up being 21 sts by 27 rows = 4 inches.  I have a tight gauge.  Can you tell?  Instead of adjusting the pattern, because for once I just want to blindly follow something instead of putting in work to modify it to my needs (when it comes to a sweater, at least).  So I'm knitting it in a size large instead of a medium, and I think that it will come out to my proportions.  Hopefully.  If not, it'll fit someone, at least.

Modifications so far: only two inches of ribbing (three inches seems a little ridiculous, no offense to any designers...) and some waist shaping, because I have an exaggerated version of the classic hourglass figure.

It's been so long since I've knit anything flat that it's a little weird.  What is this purl stitch you speak of...?  (The Falling Waters scarf doesn't count.  Ahem.  It's lace.)

OH AND I WANT TO KNIT LACE.  After... Jesus, after everything I want to get done this summer (two pairs of socks, two sweaters, that scarf, and a block-by-block blanket...) I am going to knit the Vernal Equinox Shawl, because it is beautiful and I will be using it for a very important purpose sometime next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment