Friday, May 14, 2010

The Great Purge

I feel a little guilty for not writing in this regularly, even though almost nobody reads this.  I guess it's the integrity of the matter.

Well, anyway.  I really wanted to talk about "Nicole wants to be a conscious consumer."  For two reasons, really.  One, it's alarming how much stuff that I have that I never use.  And two, it is also alarming on how once I spent almost all of my weekend earnings ($75) on food alone.  Food.  Consumable stuff that I didn't even need to buy and could easily have obtained at home.  $75 that might have been able to be put towards a new laptop for college.  So, I am feeling like a very mindless American right now and this weekend, the Great Purge shall take place.

I feel that all of the possessions that I have cluttered into my room have also cluttered my lifestyle.  It's kind of a bummer to come into my room at the end of a very busy day and just look at all of the stuff, and then also realize that because I have so much stuff, it's really hard to keep my room clean.  My laundry gets out of hand because I have so many clothes, my desk gets cluttered because there are so many useless papers, etc.  I feel that if I can narrow down my possessions to things I really need, and keep it that way, that ultimately it will make me happier.  This also carries some deeper religious undertones... everything in this world has energy, and that energy becomes stagnant when the thing isn't used for its purpose and just sits there.  There is a ton of stagnant energy in my room, not only from unused objects lurking in drawers, but from the unbelievable amount of crap blocking energy from moving around my room.

Enter the Great Purge.  Anything I don't need will be donated to Goodwill.

Things also need to be organized, so that I can easily determine what will take the trip with me down to Bloomington and what won't.  I need a basket for my yarn.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment